Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Letter 31 ~ October 2, 1918

Minnie writes me second hand news received from her sister Bertha Scholer.

Addressed to Mr. Ward C. Griffing, 25th Company, 164th Depot Brigade, Camp Funston, Kansas
[Sherman, Kansas]
Wednesday Morning, [October 2, 1918]

Dear Boy –

Well I couldn’t think of a thing to write you last evening so I decided to wait till this morning. Isn’t this the beginning of the finest day you’ve ever seen? It’s just grand up here.

Time for half past eight bell. The bell is turned over and it sounds just awful.

At last I’m able to tell Floyd [Krause] from [his identical twin brother] Lloyd. I can’t tell you what difference there is but when they come up to recite, I can generally tell one from the other now.

Had a letter from [my sister] Bertha yesterday but none from you. Bertha said your folks were disappointed all around. They had their [picnic] dinner all ready [to take to Camp Funston] and when they got downtown, Spark’s girl [said she] thought you were going to come down, so they went back home. My, wouldn’t I have been jumping around some if I had been home. Why I would have been tickled to death, and then you couldn’t [come home]. That was sure too bad.

But now I’m planning for next Sunday. Bertha said she expected to visit my school soon – probably Friday afternoon – so I know that means that they expect to come for me. Oh, if this weather can only last. And most of all, if you can only come home. It will be next to heaven. My, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you, dear boy.

Kids are coming so I must end this soon.

Old Kaiser Bill says he just realizes that he may not win this war. Too bad he’s been so sleepy.

I sure hope you are transferred to Camp Funston when you are transferred. If I had known early Sunday morning that you were still over there, I believe I would have gone over with Scott’s folks. They went over to see Clinton and they were looking for someone to go with them. But if you had to parade, it wouldn’t have done me any good anyway. With love, -- Minnie


Footnotes:
  • German Emperor Wilhelm II (27 January 1859 – 4 June 1941) was the last German Emperor (Kaiser) and the last King of Prussia, ruling from 15 June 1888 to 9 November 1918. His common appellation in the U.S. was "Old Kaiser Bill."

Old Kaiser Bill cartoon
Loosely translated: I'll pull out your last tooth so you can't bite anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment