Total Pageviews

Friday, February 20, 2009

Letter 77 ~ October 29, 1918

I write my mother and brother to let them know I am back at Camp Republican. Much of this letter repeats what I wrote Minnie on the same day so I'll abbreviate.

Addressed to Mrs. Hattie P. Griffing, Manhattan, Kansas

Camp Republican
October 29, 1918

Dear Folks,

Well, I am again settled in my new home and it is about the best place I’ve had since I have been here. The tent is brand new and has a new stove. There are only six of us in it. Roy Drown, Ralph Currie, and Johnnie Clarke are in it. I was lucky to get in with them because a boy had been transferred out of there yesterday and Ralph said that there was room for me....

Johnnie Clarke said that while I was gone, my name was called for transfer to the signal corps and I would have been stationed at Ft. Leavenworth for training. The signal corps is way and again better than the infantry.

I am feeling swell and I hope Willis can be about now. The weather is much better now. Goodnight. -- Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment