Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Letter 83 ~ November 3, 1918


A view of downtown Manhattan, Kansas (looking East) about 1918. The interurban railway trolley can be seen on the tracks that ran from Poyntz Avenue all the way to Junction City.

Minnie writes me that she is back at the Parkerson's farm in Sherman Township and ready to start teaching again on Monday, November 4th.

Addressed to Pvt. Ward C. Griffing, 25th Company, 164th Depot Brigade, Camp Funston, Kansas

Sherman [Kansas]
November 3, 1918, Sunday evening

Dearest Ward;

Well I am back at the same old table writing my daily letter as usual. It seems good to be back. Children are anxious for school to begin; I’m surprised but glad of that. I suppose you got your [interurban railway] car and are safe back at camp.

Mrs. Parkerson says it seems nice to have me back. That’s the kind of a greeting I like to get. I guess she thinks she has someone to gossip with now. We sure talked some tonight. If we have anything to say, we sure say it as fast as we can. [We] only take time enough between stories to get our breath – not like you and I, are we?

Today has sure been a swell old day – just perfect. I wish we could go for a long walk on just such a day as this has been. I had the most fun this morning and afternoon riding. [I] had a dandy horse and it was such pleasant weather. I guess I was gone three hours or more.

I hope those pictures we took this afternoon were good. I left the roll and told [my sister] Bertha to have them printed this week.

I’m going to try to get home early enough next Friday evening to see Bertha off. She don’t leave till sometime around six o’clock. We think we can make it.

Well I must make this letter short and hike to bed. It’s a quarter after nine and at seven I was so sleepy I almost had to prop my eye lids open. I do hope [your brother] Willis’ hand gets alright and they won’t be put out too awful much. I know Papa and the boys will do all they can but at the best they can never make it up to Willis. Papa feels awfully bad about it. If he just hadn’t asked Willis for gas, it never would have happened and it spoiled your visit to a certain extent. I sure am sorry it had to happen. We were all so happy before [it happened], weren’t we?

There was a letter and a card from you here when I came today besides several other letters from Co. Supt., Colleges, etc. I’m anxious for the time to fly by. I want to see where you are sent and for the war to end. In the letter I got today, you told about your foot being so sore. That sure must have been awfully painful. You can stand the most and be the most cheerful about it of anyone I’ve ever known.

I have another fine trade-last for you Ward – the very best yet.

Let me know about your transfer as soon as you can, boy. Wonder what we were doing this time last night? Goodnight dear boy and good luck to you. Your sweet heart, -- Minnie G. F.

Footnotes:
  • A “trade-last” is a favorable remark that one has overheard about another person and offers to repeat to that person in exchange for a compliment overheard about oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment