Total Pageviews

Friday, February 27, 2009

Letter 93 ~ November 13, 1918

Minnie writes me the latest news from the Parkerson's farm where she is boarding in Sherman Township, Riley County, Kansas.

Addressed to Pvt. Ward C. Griffing, Co. E 20th Infantry, Camp Funston, Kansas

Sherman [Kansas]
[Wednesday morning] November 13, 1918

Dear Boy:

I read in yesterday’s paper that they were going to keep the boys at Camp Funston drilling and going on just the same until they had orders from Washington telling them to do different. So I suppose you are still over there at Funston. Isn’t this the grandest weather? It corresponds to the feelings of the people. I am writing this in the kitchen and in rather an uncomfortable position for writing. I had a letter from Mama and Stella [Munger] yesterday but none from you. Mama sent the letter with your address.

I received the bi-monthly examination questions yesterday so we will have that tomorrow and the next day. I will sure half to work some if I get to go home Saturday. I’ll have all those papers to grade first.

President Wilson said the war was over because the armistice made it so they couldn’t renew hostilities. Most people seem to think the 10th [Division] will go across [to Europe] anyway. But people don’t always think right.

School is sure going fine and just a little over four months yet to teach. May go to the Dutch church tonight [for] revival meetings. I wonder how long it will take them to pray the Kaiser out of purgatory.

I’m sure going to a [picture] show the next time I go home. I’d sure like to see a real good one. Stella [Munger] says she goes in with [your brother] Willis and sure did have a good time. It made me want to go.

Parkerson’s are going to saw wood and butcher today. So I’ll get some fresh beef. And I want to take the saw dust and make some sweeping compound for the schoolhouse. Well, I must go to school so goodbye Ward. – Minnie G. Frey

No comments:

Post a Comment