Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Letter 97 ~ November 17, 1918

My mother writes Minnie to tell her they had a nice visit with me. I talked my way into a pass Saturday evening and came home to Manhattan for the rest of the weekend.

Addressed to Miss Minnie Frey, Sherman, Kansas, c/o Mrs. Parkerson

Manhattan, Kansas
November 17, 1918

Dear Friend Minnie:

Willis, Carol and I took Ward downtown tonight for him to take the [interurban] car back to [Camp] Funston. He would have waited until morning but he felt that we all would have a better night’s rest if he left tonight. Then too, the visit does not amount to very much while we sleep, or try to. He did the same way last week and got up there before the lights were out. For cold weather, I think likely it is really the better way to do although we always want him to stay as long as possible.

He was going to write to you this evening, got his paper and pen, but we talked to him so much that he did not get it written. So I thot just for fun I would send you a little note. I want to congratulate you for your birthday and to wish for you many many more and that they may be very happy ones.

I am thinking that likely some little girlie was rather lonely and blue last night and today. It has not been a very pleasant day and one is likely to be more lonely at such times. I trust that something happened to make the time pass pleasantly for you.

Ward said that he is likely to have to winter in Utah [and] that they may have to leave [Camp] Funston between the 20th & the 30th [of November] from what he has been hearing.

It is too bad that Stella [Munger] has been sick. It will make her school quite late in the spring.

Our birthday club met with Mrs. Taylor last Friday and as usual, Kate was very anxious to know what Ward thot about the boys having to go across [to Europe] and when they would likely get out, &c, &c.

Ward said today that he rather believes that he may get out in time to help Willis on the farm some next summer. We are certainly hoping so. Claude [Cunningham] was up to see the Taylor’s yesterday. He said that they were to have gone up to see Mr. Blair’s people today if it had not stormed [and] that his father has bot a farm for him to go onto as soon as he gets out of the army. Well I wonder if you are not tired of my scratching.

Very lovingly, -- Hattie Griffing

No comments:

Post a Comment