Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Letter 99 ~ November 19, 1918

I tell my mother and brother it's possible I might get a four-day pass to come home for Thanksgiving.

Addressed to Mrs. Hattie P. Griffing, Manhattan, Kansas

Camp Funston

November 19, 1918

Dear Folks,

I don’t see any use in having the war to stop the way they are drilling us. We are still drilling as hard as usual. There isn’t much news to write about – just the ordinary everyday life. We go on guard next Thursday and I suppose that I will be on this time because I wasn’t the other time.

Monday there was an order posted that 2% of the actual drilling force of the company would be granted 4-day passes each day beginning Monday. I went in to put in for one but he said I would have to wait awhile because I had had passes. Maybe I can get mine sometime near Thanksgiving. I sure hope so. Lots of the men are so far from home that they don’t care for even 4-day passes. Others say that they don’t want to go home until they can go and stay. Most of the men think that we will be discharged before so very long and I think so too, but of course we may not.

Well, I guess no one can kick about this kind of weather, can they? We are still able to work up a good sweat at times. There is a man making a talk here in the “Y” and I can’t write while he is spouting so I guess I’ll have to stop. I haven’t gotten that fudge yet. I don’t suppose I will ever get it now. I got a letter yesterday that you wrote last week. Well, goodnight, -- Ward

P.S. I don’t suppose that I will be able to get a pass next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment