Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Home on College Hill


This is the house on College Hill where I grew up and where my mother Hattie, twin brother Willis, and niece Carol Cunningham lived while I was in the service during WWI. My grandfather, Rev. James S. Griffing, had the house built in 1870 when he moved his family here from his farm near Tecumseh, KS. The area was known as College Hill because the original Bluemont College building, the precursor to Kansas State University (KSU), was only about a mile south of this farmhouse. The house still stands and is across the road from the KSU baseball fields northwest of Manhattan, KS.


Keep the Home Fires Burning
...one of my favorite songs

Keep the Home Fires Burning,
While your hearts are yearning,
Though your lads are far away
They dream of home.
There's a silver lining
Through the dark clouds shining,
Turn the dark cloud inside out
'Til the boys come home.


Music by Ivor Novello & words by Lena Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment