Total Pageviews

Monday, March 2, 2009

Letter 105 ~ December 1, 1918

Minnie writes to say how good it was to see me in Manhattan over the Thanksgiving vacation.

Addressed to Pvt. Ward C. Griffing, Co. E 20th Infantry, Camp Funston, Kansas

Stockdale, Kansas
December 1, 1918

Dear Ward:

Well, I wonder how you spent this long day. I know I would have been dreadfully lonesome if I hadn’t of brought a book to read. Mama got me a new book Saturday [called] “The Reclaimers” – one of Margaret Hill McCarter’s new books. I have it over half read. Then I brought another book, “The Riders of the Purple Sage.” When I get those read, I’m going to have Mama send me some more. I love to read and that’s something I can do this winter. My school work won’t keep me any where’s near busy, especially when I have to spend my weekends up here. Sometimes I think I’ll just go crazy with nothing to keep my mind busy. My school work don’t any where’s near do that. My school is all I know about now and people get tired of hearing about that. I was lot’s better company three or four years ago than I am now. I am certainly anxious to get in college where I’ll have my studies and nice places to go.

I wrote to [my sister] Bertha and [my brother] Jesse tonight so I’m about played out on the letter writing. I didn’t want to quit reading my book at all. It’s sure interesting. I’ve been reading all day. Sit in one chair awhile, then in another and so on, all day.

Say Ward, you sure did look nice this trip. Your hat and uniform and all looked so nice. You were certainly a fine looking soldier. Did you have your photo taken? I hope you do if you haven’t already.

Well, I must go to bed now and start to work in earnest again tomorrow. I don’t suppose I’ll see you again for a long time. I’m not planning on getting home again till Xmas. Write as often as you can and care to. Time goes so much faster when I get letters, doesn’t it for you?

Goodnight Boy, Yours, -- Minnie Frey

No comments:

Post a Comment