Total Pageviews

Friday, March 20, 2009

Ward Griffing Returns Home


My twin brother Willis, my mother Hattie, & me, shortly after my discharge from the service.

After serving almost 6 months in the U.S. Infantry and writing nearly 80 postcards and letters, I am finally put on a train back home to Manhattan, Kansas, with my discharge papers in hand. The ride home was by way of Chicago where me and the boys were able to take in a Matinee at the Majestic Theater (now the Shubert Theater). It was the jakes, I tell you.

I enclose here the ticket stub my grandson found in the breast pocket of my tunic where I had stuffed it 90 years ago. The ticket stub read, "Retain this Check" -- so I did. I also enclose the program for that vaudeville performance that I took home to show my mother. She saved it along with the letters I sent her while I was in the service. You can click on the images to enlarge them.





The impressive playbill included:

KINOGRAMS -- "The Newest News" Weekly Shown Exclusively at this Theater
RENO -- Eccentric -- Pantomimic -- Comedian
FRED HOLMES & LULA WELLS -- Presenting their New Act "An Old Fashioned Bride"
JAMES C. MORTON -- The Famous Comedian
LEW DOCKSTADER -- The World's Famous Humerist
MLLE. NITA-JO -- French Singer in her first apearance in America
EDDIE LEONARD & CO. -- The Minstrels in "Dandy Dan's Return" & some new songs
WELLINGTON CROSS -- The American Musical Comedy Favorite
FOUR ANKERS -- Naval Gymnasts
ORPHEUM CIRCUIT TRAVEL WEEKLY -- featuring the Yermak, Russia's Largest Ice-Breaker


Lew Dockstader in blackface

1 comment:

  1. Fred Holmes and Lulu Wells, listed on the program from the Majestic, were relatives of my husband.
    Fred was the nephew of my husband's grandmother, Bertha Evelyn Sawyer Neely, and we have pictures of him and his wife at the time, Lulu Wells. He had a long career in Vaudeville, as did Lulu, but they divorced in the 20's, as vaudeville itself was dying out. My brother was at Ft. Riley and lived in Camp Funston in 1951, when he was in basic training. I am glad to see that you have put your letters where they could be appreciated by a larger audience. They are a valuable insight.

    Christine M. Smith cmsmith@butler.edu

    ReplyDelete