Total Pageviews

Friday, February 13, 2009

Letter 62 ~ October 20, 1918

I write my mother a short letter to let her know I am concerned about my brother Willis who has contracted the flu.

Addressed to Mrs. Hattie P. Griffing, Manhattan, Kansas

Camp Republican
October 20, 1918

Dear Folks,

I am writing in the “Y” while waiting for an answer to a call I put in for you folks. I got a pass today from Smoky Hill Flats to [return to] D.2. [Detention Camp 2] and Johnnie Conrow said that his mother told him on the phone that [my brother] Willis had the influenza. I am afraid I can't get my call thru because I have been waiting a long time. It sure is tough that Willis had to get sick. I don't see how you can get along now. I want to hear from you as soon as I can but my mail out there is uncertain.

It is fine weather now and things are getting nice and dry so we will get along fine out at Smoky Hill Flats. I am feeling fine so you don’t need to worry a bit about me. It seems as tho it would have been better if I had gotten sick because it must be awful hard to get along at home. I am going…

[Later at] Smoky Hill Flats. Well I got my phone call all right and had a good talk with you. It sure surprised me to know that Willis had been sick since Monday. He must be very careful after he gets out because it will still be dangerous. We were issued our overcoats this morning. They sure are nice and warm. After I talked with you, I got my mess over at the 25th Company and then after that we got a jitney and rode over to Ft. Riley. From there we walked back over here. Well it is late and I must work hard this week so goodnight and good luck to you all. With love, -- Ward

1 comment:

  1. That must be rough on Ward to learn his twin has come down with influenza. Ward knew men who died from the disease and Willis is needed to work the farm. It's no good on a soldier's morale to hear stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete