Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Letter 63 ~ October 21, 1918

Minnie writes me about riding horses with her friends. Mentions Willis’ bout with the flu.

Addressed to Ward C. Griffing, 25th Company, 164th Depot Brigade, Camp Funston, Kansas

Manhattan, Kansas
[October 21, 1918]

Dearest Ward:

We are awfully busy this morning but I want to get a letter off to you before the mail man comes if I possibly can. We are washing and have a lot of hay bailers for dinner.

Yesterday morning we didn’t get up till late so it wasn’t very long before dinner time. After dinner, I read three magazine stories and had just tried to get a call thru to Mrs. Parkerson when I heard someone outside yell, “Minnie.” I thought it sounded like
Stella [Munger] so I skinnied out there and there was Stella and Kate a horseback. I had them come in while [my sister] Bertha and I got ready. Then all four of us went out riding. My, but I had the most fun. We went down past Strong School, then straight east on that road till we came to the [Blue] River. It’s the first time I’ve been down there. When we came back, the boys put the saddle on [our horse] Dan and Kate got on him. I didn’t want her to [get on] at all. I was afraid she might get hurt. But she wouldn’t listen to me. She’s the first girl that’s ever been on him. He didn’t do a thing. The folks said he would be alright for me to ride if he gets a chance. I’m sure going to ride him this week.

Well, altogether I had just such a good time, and then best of all, when we came home, Mama said you had called your mother. While Mama and [your mother] were talking, someone [on the party line] wanted the phone to call a doctor, so they were cut off. Stella and I went over to your mother’s and she told me what you had to say. It was so dark then that Stella came home with me and staid all night, [then] went home in the morning.

Who told you [your brother] Willis was sick? Conrow? I don’t suppose it makes much difference but I was talking to your mother the Tuesday morning [Oct 15th] when they had decided Willis had the “flu” and I asked her if she had written it to you. She said she had not, and we thought it just as well not to say anything about it till he was well. It wouldn’t help matters a bit for you to worry about him. Mama talked to your mother a few minutes ago. She said Willis was getting along real well. He’ll be alright now. I would hate to have your Mother get it. She’s so kinda worn out, but I don’t believe she will. There don’t seem to be any that age get it.

I’m feeling fine about you, boy. Your mother said you sounded like you were in such good spirits and then you are alright. That certainly is grand.

If I were
[James] Sparks' girl, I wouldn’t be very proud of him if that’s the way he has to get off to see her. I’m glad, Ward, you don’t do that way, even if we would love to see one another.

I have given up hearing from you at all this weekend when I heard you were to be out there yet this week. I surely was glad when I did. I suppose you got your mail since you were at the D camp yesterday.

I talked to Mrs. Parkerson this morning and she said everyone up there [in Sherman Township] was well but didn’t expect to have any school. She asked me how the soldier up at Camp Funston was. She knew I was awfully anxious about you when I left up there.

Stella and I are going to Topeka to the Teacher’s meeting. I think it’s about two weeks off. I’m sure looking forward to it. That French Lieutenant is going to talk one day on “The Battle of Verdun.” You know he was that grand man we heard talk last winter. I didn’t expect to ever hear him again, and I’m sure glad of the opportunity. He’s great.

With lots of love, Ward. – Minnie G. Frey

No comments:

Post a Comment